Sunshine Ministries was founded on April 25, 1903 as the St. Louis City Rescue Mission at 14 N. 7th Street (the current site of Kiener Plaza).
Supported by several prominent St. Louis businessmen including George Warren Brown, the founder of Brown Shoe Company, Edward “Daddy” Card began the work of the mission by serving free meals to poor men living on the streets of St. Louis.
Becoming “Sunshine Mission”
Later changing the name of the ministry to Sunshine Mission, “Daddy” Card continued to lead the mission for 30 years. Under his guidance, the mission moved several times including into three buildings that were located on the current site of the Edward Jones Dome. During those years, Sunshine Mission continued to grow by adding an overnight shelter for the homeless. Through the depression years the mission served an average of 100,000 men a year!
Celebrating 50 Years
William Buschart, “Daddy” Card’s successor, led the mission through the celebration of the 50th Anniversary in 1953. At that time he wrote, “God has graciously cared for and brought us to this Jubilee Year, indicating in innumerable ways His approval upon the Work. Let us praise and thank Him from the depths of our hearts.”
Celebrating 100 Years
Fifty years later, under the leadership of Jim and Carol Clarkson, Sunshine Ministries once again proclaimed God’s goodness and grace toward the mission as they celebrated 100 years of faithfully answering God’s call to care for the poor and needy among us.
Growth for the Future
In April of 2013, God once again blessed the ministry by allowing us to break ground on a new Family C.A.R.E. Center as we celebrated our 110th Anniversary. From our humble beginnings in a little store-front building on the corner of 7th and Market Streets, Sunshine Ministries will now be serving our community from five facilities in the near north side of downtown St. Louis and a beautiful camp facility in Foristell, Missouri.